Insurance & Re-Insurance
At Altenburger, we have successfully been advising various insurance-industry stakeholders for over 25 years.
Our clients are both Swiss and foreign-based insurance and re-insurance companies as well as intermediaries and providers of insurance-related products that rely on our in-depth industry expertise.
Our Insurance Team focuses on regulatory insurance matters as well as corporate transactions, such as mergers and acquisitions and business (re)structuring. This includes the drafting and negotiation of industry sector agreements, such as outsourcing, cooperation and distribution contracts. Insurance contract law and product development are further core activities of our insurance experts, both in the life and non-life sectors. And, of course, together with our Tax Team, we also have the tax know-how specific to the insurance industry.
One thing we've learned in 25 years of practice is that in order to be successful in the insurance industry, participants and advisors alike need to be bold, persistent and future-oriented, whilst respecting the rules of the market and its regulation.
Being creative within a highly regulated environment?
Yes, it's possible!
Range of Services
- (Re)Insurance supervision law
- Insurance contract law
- Product development
- Product taxation
- Drafting and negotiation of contracts (e.g. distribution, service, outsourcing and cooperation agreements)
- Group (re)structuring (incl. tax aspects)
- Portfolio transfers
- M&A in the insurance sector
- Dispute resolution between insurance companies
- Advising a Swiss non-life insurer with regard to its online distribution platform
- Providing advice to Swiss and foreign (re)insurance carriers as well as insurance intermediaries (including Lloyd's brokers) regarding the set-up of their business in and from Switzerland
- Advising Swiss and foreign insurers with regard to the classification of new types of products as (life) insurance business
- Advising various insurers regarding the latest FINMA practice (e.g. Corporate Governance, organisation, outsourcing, etc.)
- Advising a warranty & indemnity insurer in relation to the sale of a flow measurement and in-store analytics company as well as in connection with the sale of a beauty clinic
- Advising a warranty & indemnity insurer in the context of a 'sell-buy flip' underwriting process for a company active in the sportswear industry
For a complete or field-specific list of cases, please get in touch with us.