Meet the Altenburger Professionals
40 years of trusted advice
The US as the leading world economy is, together with Germany, Switzerland's most important trading partner. The land of opportunity not only decisively influences the Swiss economy – it also shapes the Swiss legal profession.
It is therefore no surprise that many of our foreign-based clients are from the US. Some of them have entrusted their legal affairs to us ever since the founding of our firm over 40 years ago. And our personal connections to the US run deep: The founder of our law firm, Peter Altenburger, was the co-initiator of the tax chapter of the Swiss-American Chamber of Commerce, and most of our lawyers have lived, studied or worked in the US or even grew up there.
US mentality with a Swiss touch
While our firm is based, rooted and well-connected in Switzerland, we live the principles the US stands for, such as diversity, embracing technology and getting things done. We then add a Swiss touch with well-founded legal advice in order to find solutions for your specific needs. To do this better, we put effort into getting to know your business and meeting the people behind it during our regular business trips to the US. In other words, we help US clients make great opportunities in Switzerland a reality.
Since business is a two-way street, we also assist Swiss-based clients with respect to outbound matters into the US. To provide practical and personalized advice, we work in close cooperation with our extended network of law firms and service providers all across the US.
Range of Services
Our experts advise US corporations, funds and individuals on a wide range of Swiss legal and tax matters, with a focus on:
- Direct investment activities, such as setting up companies, subsidiaries, branches or joint ventures, and any other corporate law matter
- Setting up and maintaining group structures
- Corporate reorganizations
- Commercial contracts
- Banking, regulatory and finance
- Commercial real estate
- Tax for individuals and corporates
- Dispute resolution (litigation, arbitration, mediation)
- Relocation of individuals to Switzerland.
- Supporting a leading US travel, hospitality and leisure group with the increase of its billion-dollar group debt facility and securitization by its European headquarters in Switzerland.
- Advising a US investment fund with respect to a convertible loan and equity subscription in relation to a Swiss pharmaceutical company prior to its IPO.
- Advising US beneficiaries on recovering trust assets deposited in Switzerland.
- Supporting a US-based group of companies with setting up its European headquarters and acquiring a Spanish group of companies.
- Advising a US warranty & indemnity insurer in relation to the sale of one of the leading Swiss frozen food producers to Europe’s largest frozen food company.
- Counselling a NYSE listed company in its group reorganization in preparation of an IPO of one of its business division.
- Supporting a NYSE listed global leader in subsea, onshore, offshore, and surface technologies in its post-merger group restructuring.
- Supporting one of the world's largest manufacturer of primary batteries in the acquisition of a competitor with respect to the competitor's Swiss entities.
- Supporting one of the worldwide largest and NYSE listed agricultural corporate in a billion-dollar asset swap deal regarding the Swiss related parts of the transaction.
- Supporting a US luxury brand company in the exit negotiations of its Swiss joint venture company.