Birgit Sambeth Glasner
In disputes as in life: you need empathy, dedication and a wise solution-oriented mindset.
Birgit Sambeth Glasner is Co-Head of our Dispute Resolution Team. As a former substitute Judge and judicial Conciliator, acting as Mediator and as Arbitrator, she is acknowledged as a forward thinking, holistic and strategic dispute resolution specialist, and is regularly appointed as Neutral to prevent and resolve complex, international and domestic disputes in commercial and international agency/distribution contracts, M&A transactions, construction projects, employment and family/inheritance matters, often with cross cultural and multi-language components.
Listed among the “Thought Leaders - Mediation” by Who's Who Legal since 2018, Birgit has been recognized as the “N° 1 most highly regarded mediator in Switzerland”. She is accredited by a number of national and international organizations, in particular: the Swiss Bar Association (FSA-SAV), the Swiss Chamber of Commercial Mediation (SCCM), the International Mediation Institute (IMI), CEDR London, CPR New York, VIAC Vienna, CMAP Paris, CAM Milan, CML Russia, Shenzhen Court of Arbitration (South China) (SCIA), ICC, SCAI, TAS-CAS, INSOL and WIPO.
In addition to her activity as Neutral, Birgit is also frequently involved in company restructuring and insolvency proceedings, acting as creditor representative or as liquidator and trustee in the context of domestic and international bankruptcy and composition proceedings.
- 2019 Vice President of the Swiss Bar Association
- Since 2005 Partner at Altenburger
- 1994-2008 Substitute judge at the Geneva courts
- 1994-2005 Sambeth Glasner Law Firm, Geneva
- 1989-1994 Legal counsel at Ernst & Young (legal and tax dept.), Basel
- 1986-1987 Legal trainee at Baker & McKenzie, Geneva and Chicago
- 2019 Accredited Mediator in the Health sector, Geneva
- 2012 Sworn-in Mediator by the Appellate Court, Vaud
- 2005 Sworn-in Mediator by the Geneva Government
- 2004 Accredited CEDR Mediator, London
- 2004 Accredited WIPO Mediator, Geneva
- 1997 Certified mediator in civil, commercial and criminal matters (FSA/CEFOC/INPER), Lausanne
- 1990 Bar admission, Geneva
- 1986 Master of Laws (LL.M.) in International Banking and Finance, Boston University, USA
- 1984 Lic. Iur. University of Geneva
Bar / Court Admission
At all Swiss courts
- 2008-2021 Lecturer in Commercial Mediations, CAS and DAS University of Fribourg
- 2008-2021 Lecturer in Commercial Mediation, CAS HEIG Yverdon
- 2009-2021 Lecturer at the MIDS Master in International Dispute Settlements, Graduate Institute HEI Geneva
- 2009-2017 Lecturer in Commercial Mediation, Diploma and Master of Arts in International Trading, Commodity Finance and Shipping, HEC Geneva.
- 2009-2017 Lecturer in Commercial Mediation, Master in International Trade law, Contracts and Dispute resolution, University of Torino and IUSE, ITC-ILO in collaboration with UNCITRAL
- 2011-2018 Lecturer in Mediation Advocacy, ECAV Ecole d'Avocature, Geneva
- 2013 Lecturer in Mediation Advocacy, Master's program in commercial mediation, BUCERIUS Law School, Hamburg
European Advisory Board of CPR ADR - International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution NYC
“Birgit Sambeth Glasner is a prestigious figure in domestic and international mediation with expertise spanning from commercial disputes to criminal matters.”
“Birgit Sambeth Glasner has consistently been rated at Performance Level 5 by the Parties for whom she has acted as a mediator as well as their attorneys. All of the parties would recommend her as a mediator, a fact borne out by the number of them willing to use her again and some to provide a reference to parties considering the engagement of Birgit as a mediator in the future. Costs were widely reported as reasonable and within international standards. Thus, a very high degree of satisfaction was reported.”
“Birgit has a quick grasp of all the underlying issues and she explores the values with patience. Her skills in setting up and providing an adequate environment for a constructive dialogue is particularly reflected, as well as her patience and flexibility, together with her ability to calm down individual sensitivities and to prevent the escalation of disputes. She is described as having a sound common sense and being confident, pragmatic as well as solution oriented. She tries to keep negotiators focused on key issues and future interests.”
“Birgit calmly deals with stalemates and she is deemed to be particularly helpful in clarifying and structuring the dispute resolution processes, managing the parties expectations and assisting them to “take a step back”. Humanistic and empathetic, she uses all her personal skills, notably the listening skills, to a genuinely caring attitude, and for being an excellent listener and very skilled communicator.”
“Having lived all her life in a multi-cultural, - professional and - linguistic environment, she handles well cultural differences, whether geographic very human and empathetic, she has a special way to build trust with the parties. She was reported as being committed, having a genuinely caring attitude but, at the same time, also being able to stay firm if needed.”
“Birgit has a brilliant mind, able to catch immediately what is really at stake and has a special way to calmly but firmly help parties to find their way out of the conflict. All the mediations she has conducted were reported as being settled in a very short time.”