Over the past 20 years, the ALTENBURGER Insurance Team has assisted numerous Swiss and foreign insurance companies, insurance intermediaries as well as providers of insurance-related products in various licensing issues, business (re)structuring, product development and related regulatory, corporate and tax law matters both in Switzerland and Liechtenstein, and therefore has particular expertise in this specific industry.
Our services in insurance cover in particular the following areas:
- (Re)Insurance supervision law
- Insurance contract law
- Product development
- Product taxation
- Drafting and negotiation of contracts (e.g. distribution, service, outsourcing and cooperation agreements)
- Group (re)structuring (incl. tax aspects)
- Portfolio transfers
- Litigation / Arbitration
Our clients are Swiss and foreign direct insurers and reinsurers underwriting life and non-life business. We also advise trading and industrial companies with regard to captive solutions, as well as insurance intermediaries.
Recent cases included the following work:
- Incorporating, respectively establishing, and obtaining a license for various life and non-life insurers as well as reinsurance captives
- Providing advice in connection with the purchase and sale of various life and non-life insurance companies in Switzerland and in Liechtenstein
- Advising various life insurance companies in the development of annuities and unit-linked insurance products etc., as well as drawing up their distribution and asset management documentation
- Policy wording in all lines of non-life insurance
- Advising insurance companies as well as intermediaries in connection with their cooperation with other insurers, banks, fund management companies etc.
- Advising various foreign insurers in relation to cross-border distribution into Switzerland of insurance and insurance-related products (e.g. catastrophe bonds)
- Representing a leading Swiss insurer against claims raised by a group of policyholders